Thursday, December 29, 2011

dreaming of a white winter

Last year I started to tinker with the idea of taking up cross-country skiing. It seems like a good winter sport to get me out of the house and enjoy the winter scenery. Baylor Park actually rents skis for $5/day, so I couldn't ask for a more affordable way to test out the sport and see if it's for me. But I never "got around to it" last winter.


*shrug* There's always next year.


Today is December 29th, and there is no snow in Minnesota. Oh, we got about 3 inches on Thanksgiving, but that all melted in less than a week. Since then the daytime temperatures have been consistently above 40*F, with a few 50* days last week. This is a Minnesota winter?? This is a stark contrast to last year when we had at least 2 feet of snow by now, and near record snowfalls by the time winter was said and done. There was a dusting of snow on my birthday, so that was nice because my birthday never feels like my birthday if there is no snow. But there has been nary a flake since.


Which brings me to my dilemma. This year I am even more interested in taking up cross-country skiing, and there are some really good deals on skis through Craigslist, but with this unusually snow-less winter, it appears I have missed my chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment